9/27/07

Sept 27-Oct 3: Lectio Passages: Silence

The passages below are suggestions for reading, mediation, and Lectio this week. Feel free to post your comments or reflections about these passages. The Lectio Divina prompts are also here for your use.

Sept 27 -- Psalm 23
Sept 28 -- Psalm46:8-11
Sept 29 -- Isaiah 30:15-18
Sept 30 -- Mark 6:30-34
Oct 1 -- Psalm 62:5-8
Oct 2 -- Ecclesiastes 9:17 - 10:3
Oct 3 -- 2 Samuel 22:31-37


Read: Seek a phrase, word, or verse that attracts your attention. Repeat that phrase to yourself or write it down. Savor the text.

Reflect: What meaning is offered to you as you consider the phrase or verse?

Respond: What response do you have to the word? What is God's invitation to you?

Rest: Relax in God's transforming power and presence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning I read Ps 23 and was very struck by the phrase "restore my soul." I was sort of resistant to even reading this Psalm at first because it's so familiar. I thought, "Gee, I already know this one!" But even familiar words can crack open something new inside sometimes.

This morning, I just clung on to "restore my soul." The picture that came to mind was the restoration of a once-lovely, but much-abused old home. There's a lot of demolition that probably needs to happen first -- alot of bad paint and old paneling, cheap remodeling jobs, and nasty carpet that have to be taken up in my soul before the walls can be plumb again and the foundation sure, the windows clean and doors welcoming.

It struck me just how costly and sometimes painful restoration is. And yet, I don't want another half-baked coat of paint over what's already poorly maintained in my soul. I don't want a surface make-over.

I want restoration. I want to say "yes" to total restoration.

Jim Smith said...

Nicole

This is great. Thanks for spending the time and energy to do this.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Today, in Psalm 46, of course, the words "be still" jumped out at me. It reminded me of what the book said about being quiet enough for your soul to come out. Then, funny enough, as I headed out the front door for a walk, I saw a fox on the front lawn! Foxes are so skittish ~ alot like our souls ~ and this one was no different, even dodging and bobbing when a magpie flew over his head! But even though the critter was so hesitant, it was amazing to see him just appear...and then stick around a little bit as I stood there queitly, watching. It was a perfect picture of being still with God so my soul might show up. What timing the Lord has :-)