10/7/07

Mike Yaconelli's Terrible Prayers

I have always been terrible at praying.
I forget.
My mind wanders.
I fall asleep.
I don't pray enough.
I don't understand what prayer is
Or what prayer does.
If prayer were school...I would flunk praying.

But prayer isn't school.
It is mystery.
Maybe the mystery is...Jesus loves terrible prayers.
Maybe...When I can't think of anything to say, he says what I can't say.
When I talk too much, he chersihes my too many words.
When I fall asleep, he holds me in his lap and caresses my weary soul.
When I am overwhelmed with guilt at my inconsistent, inadequate praying,
He whispers, "Your name is always on my lips."
I am filled with gratitude, my soul overflows with thankfulness, and I...
I...find myself saying over and over again, "thank you,"
Praying the mystery.

No comments: