10/7/07

Prayer in Poetry

After Reading Dom John Chapman, Benedictine Abbot
by Jack Ridl

"Pray as you can; not as you can't."

My prayers will sit on the backs
of bedraggled donkeys, in the sidecars
of Harleys, in the pockets of night
watchmen, on the laps of widows.
They will be the stones I walk by,
the smudges I leave on anything I touch,
the last place the last snow melts. They
will be brown, weekdays, potato pancakes.
They will stick to the undersides of porches,
docks, dog paws, and carpets. When I'm sick,
my cough will carry them. When you leave
in the morning, they will sink into the bed,
the sofa, every towel. I will carry them
in the modesty of my feet. Everything
will be praying. My dog will be petitioning
for mercy when he stops to sniff a post.
Every window in our house will be
an offering for supplications. The birds
at the feeder will be twitching
for my forgiveness. I will say my prayers
are bread dough, doorknobs, golf tees,
any small and nameless change of heart.
When I forget my prayers, they will
bundle up and go out on their own
across the street, down into the basement,
into a small town with no mayor where
there is a single swing in the park. When
I forget, they'll know I was watching TV,
the sky, or listening to Basie, remembering
the way my mother and father jitterbugged
to the big band station, he pulling her close,
then spinning her out across the green kitchen floor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The poem grows on me a little more each time I read it. It has allowed me to relax in prayer a bit. I especially like the image at the very end, of a couple jitterbugging in the kitchen. What better way to describe the intimacy, everyday-ness, and joy of that "gap" that Sara talked about -- that synapsis between God and us.

~ Nicole