10/11/07

An Outline of the Examen

Transition: I become aware of the love with which God looks upon me as I begin the examen.

I. Gratitude: I note the gifts that God's love has given me this day, and I give thanks to God for them.

II. Petition: I ask God for insight and strength that will make this examen a work of grace, fruitful beyond my human capacity alone.

III. Review: With God, I review my day. I look for the stirrings in my heart and the thoughts that God has given me this day. I look also for those that have not been of God. I review my choices in response to both.

IV. Forgiveness: I ask for God's forgiveness for my sins this day.

V. Renewal: I look to the following day and, with God, plan how to live it in accord with God's loving desire for my life.

Transition: Aware of God's presence with me, I prayerfully conclude the examen.

No comments: